There are many applications that can be used to create posters. PowerPoint is recommended for its simplicity, but for posters with a dimension larger than 56 inches you’ll need to use another application like Adobe Indesign. Here we have instructions to properly size and export your poster.
- Open Adobe InDesign
- Select File --> New Document
- Select OK
- On the top and left side of your document you will see a ruler, right click on each of these and change the unit to inches
- Go to File --> Document Setup and change the Width and Height to the desired dimensions
- Select OK
You have created a blank template that is the correct size! You can now add text and images.
Tip: Avoid image pixelation. Make sure photos and images that are inserted into the slide have a large size to begin with. Images files that are small will become more pixelated when they are printed at a larger size.
When you have finished creating your content it is time to export the file.
- Go to File --> Save As...
- Select .pdf as the file type
After exporting open your file in Acrobat and follow these steps to confirm that the file is correctly laid out and ready for submission.
- Open your file in Acrobat and go to File --> Properties and look at the Page Size and make sure it matches the size you are listing in your request.
- Also in Acrobat go to View --> Zoom --> Actual Size to see how the image will look when it is printed at full size, see if this looks the way you'd like it took. Check images for pixelation.
If the file looks good and the size is right then it is ready to submit!